Good morning Everyone!
80% of the time Kayla makes perfect sense, but then there’s the other 20% of the time…
On Thursday, Kayla tells me that her (huge, bright green, state of the art) Nike backpack that we bought this year is too small. I suggest that she go through and trim down what seems to permanently reside in said book bag. For some reason, that solution is not acceptable.
On Friday, when we are already running about 15 minutes late from the time we normally leave, and after I have been waiting in the car for her for five minutes, she comes out of the garage door carrying her purple and white backpack from last year, announcing that she has switched over to it because it is bigger.
On Monday, she exits the house after me with a small red and white backpack that is smaller than anything she has ever carried to school. The reason? Her other backpacks were too big!
Kayla has emphatically refused to take gymnastics for the past two years, and has decided this year to give up dance, so of course, Sunday afternoon, when I hear strange thumps and bangs in her room and go to check, she has set up a kind of gymnastics routine/obstacle course in her room with pillows that she wants me to watch!
Yesterday, we had a soccer game at 5:30, which means that the kids are supposed to be at the field by 5:00. That time-table is fairly difficult for us to meet but we managed to have just a minute or two where I could stop at a nearby convenience store and buy her a Gatorade and myself a soft drink. When I got back in the car, she wanted me to open her Gatorade and I told her no, she needed to finish getting on her shin guards, socks and cleats before I would do so. (Experience has taught me that I need to get what I want first, or I never will get it.)
She fussed mildly, but then announced as we were pulling into the parks and recreation area that she “ought to give me a break because she would be a mother some day.”
I glanced sideways at her, and then said, “There’s more to it than that. Has anyone told you about the curse yet?”
She was curious. “What curse?”
I answered, “They call it the parent’s curse. When you have a child, she will be exactly like you.”
Kayla was silent for a minute, then asked, “Exactly like me?”
I answered, “Yes.”
She thought about it a minute more, and then said, “I need to change some things!”
The Daily Homework Dialogue:
Me: Kayla, do you have any homework.
At this point I get one of three answers.
Kayla Answer 1 (Angry): Really, Mom, why don’t you believe me?
Kayla Answer 2: Well, yes, but I’ve already done it.
Kayla Answer 3: Well, yes, but I’m almost done.
Have a good day everyone!